[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate() [function.getdate]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
talkscape.jasonlytle.com • View topic - Similar bands

Similar bands

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderators: daidj, Johnny, ebo, wolfattack, Scott, Eean

Similar bands

Postby eric on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:11 pm

Thought I'd resurrect this thread from the old board. Now with links. The idea is to identify bands that sound like Grandaddy. What other bands have that Grandaddyesque sound?

Midlake
Fairguson
Amandine
Girls in Hawaii
Earlimart
Lonly Dear
The Western States Motel
Dios
Mercury Rev
The Flaming Lips
Surrounded
Electric Soft Parade
White Williams
eric

Re: Similar bands

Postby daidj on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:28 pm

Very good selection Eric !

Thanks for adding Girls in Hawaii, these guys are very talented.

The myspace site offers tracks from the second album, but here are some nice videos (or pictures with music) from the first album. Watch them if you like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJtQwBMH1B0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK8M5o2OyMM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm7rvq0-a1I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDGubywudDI
daidj

Postby ostgur on Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:16 pm

Nobody sounds like Grandaddy :shock:
ostgur

Postby campershell dreams on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:56 pm

i don't get how people think midlake and gdaddy sound alike. maybe it's just me. the only band i've ever really thought sounded like gdaddy is the flaming lips, and that's definitely a stretch. i've also been pointed to bands like built to spill and pavement, neither of which sounded like gdaddy to me either. but maybe it's just me.
if you plan on asking me for a copy of jason lytle's soon-to-be released ablum, don't waste your time. not gonna happen! have a nice day.
campershell dreams

Re:

Postby chinaski on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:59 pm

ostgur wrote:Nobody sounds like Grandaddy :shock:

try this ... french band produced by Jason.

I think that there is no point being so similar...
chinaski

Postby brassman2000 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:56 pm

Its not just in the sound of Grandaddy, its the ethics of the song writing, the style and emotion, the clever arrangement. I think when people hear something of what they get from Grandaddy (or any other band for that matter) in a different band that they like, the band may well "sound like" Grandaddy to them even if they don't to other people. So whilst Midlake and the Flaming Lips don't sound massively like Grandaddy and certainly not each other, they still share certain qualities that tend to appeal to some fans of each. In my view they all have quite an old fashioned way of writing songs even if they don't have that '70s sound you can certainly hear the influences.

That turned into quite a long post for me... sorry about that :) Hope it makes sense to at least someone.
I has a PhD.
brassman2000

Postby ostgur on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:43 am

chinaski, of course, i listening to this band, but it not like Grandaddy at all.
ostgur

Postby siranthonysghost on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:16 am

well, I think I'll go with the 'bands you might also enjoy' angle rather than the 'who sounds just like grandaddy' stance.

First of all, you all need to hear some of Pinback's earlier stuff (blue screen life or offcell). They are a bit more well known now and their sound is a tad more commercial these days, but their first two discs were phenomenal.

Low is also a band that could become a new favorite for any grandaddy fan. Thats the 'Low' with Alan Sparhawk, NOT the metal band of the same (not to mention ripped off) name.

Andrew Bird, classically trained violinist turned folk pop songwriter has a few albums out, all them great but 'the mysterious production of eggs' is a good place to start.

The Wolf Parade is a group out of Montreal, I saw them with The Arcade Fire in Portland Oregon a few years back, truth be told, they suck live. But their album 'appologies to the queen' in fantastic. A great mix of high energy rock with 80's synthy goodness

Shameless self plug: I have some stuff I've written and produced. If you want you can hear it at

www/myspace.com/anthonysghost I'm pretty proud of it, and if you like it to then hooray!
siranthonysghost

Postby the foyer on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:18 pm

i find midlake a bit grandaddy light - or lite if you are north american inclined. they've got some good stuff but it doesn't quite hit the right spot.

and the electric soft parade meh. not forgiven them for doing a 40 minute set most of which consisted of a last song 20 minute jam. it was not very good.
the foyer

Postby ebo on Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:47 pm

Tractor.
The Grandaddy of heavy metal.
ebo

Next

Return to talk not talk