Talkos talks Last Place

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderators: daidj, Johnny, ebo, wolfattack, Scott, Eean

Re: Talkos talks Last Place

Postby talkos on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:55 am

I Don't Wanna Live Here Anymore

It only took about 20 seconds into hearing this for the first time before it was clear that this is the best song on the album. It's simple, but it's perfect. Jason Lytle is a very talented songwriter, but he often gets caught up in the gimmicks of themes or production. This here song is very uncluttered and direct. It so easy but focused. It's a song capturing a sentiment nobody else really can. This is the right direction for Grandaddy to go 20-something years into the career. This is the guy who wrote Wives of Farmers, Running Cable at Chivas, and Rode My Bike to my Stepsister's Wedding. The one-two punch of Check Injin then I Don't Wanna Live Here Anymore is the high point of the album.
It uses the same classic chord chord progression Cass McCombs used on Bobby King of Boys Town on the album A, but it's a completely different song. I like both.
talkos

Postby talkos on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:59 am

That's What You Get For Getting Out of Bed

The acoustic part at the beginning is so familiar but I can't place it. Is this a reference or a recycled part?

The rest of the song is kind of dorky, but it's grown on me. I like how the instrumental melody break sounds like Mexican restaurant music. It's almost like a parody of a Sumday song, but somehow it's better.
talkos

Postby talkos on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:08 am

This is the Part

Here's where side B of the album starts to drag. We already just finished a prolonged mid-tempo song. Here is another one, but its less fun or interesting. It's a kind of sulky melodramatic plodding song that I wonder why exists and then I remember this is for Troybob and Co. I'm sure Troybob loves this song unconditionally and feels something deeply from it. I don't. It's confusing because it's a dull listless thing that makes power ballads like Winger's Headed for a Heartbreak or Poison's I Won't Forget You seem vivid and sincere. This song is taking up valuable real estate on a Grandaddy album. Seems wrong when Glider Pilot, I'm Not Alright, and The Final team still have never seen an official release.
talkos

Postby talkos on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:14 am

Jed the Fourth

When I'd read that there was going to be another Jed song, I didn't get my hopes up. Beautiful Ground is a favorite. I liked the one on the Signal to Snow EP. But I was never too excited about ongoing concept story line.
However, this new one exceeded all expectations. Short and sweet. Well done. This is better than anything on a Grandaddy release since the Sophtware Slump. Maybe Jason Lytle is still an Artist.
talkos

Postby talkos on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:23 am

A Lost Machine

Dammit. By this point, we're on the 5th mid-tempo song in a row. I'm getting bored.
Many professionally published reviews of Last Place herald this song as a highlight, calling it "complex" and one even called it "prog." But it's just clunky mid-tempo melodrama borrowing a lot of the lyrical themes from the overrated "rarity" Fare Thee Not Well Mutineer. Instead of holding up my lighter at the end where it grandiosely keeps repeating the same line, I just feel a little embarrassed when the electric guitar solo flourishes come in. It's like a Meatloaf song. Maybe it appeals to fans of the theater or something or the European fans who ate up the themes on Sophtware Slump.
Last edited by talkos on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
talkos

Postby talkos on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:41 am

Songbird Son

When I first heard this months ago performed on an acoustic guitar on the Rose City Round radio show, I didn't like it much. I assumed that it would receive a predictable production treatment for the album version. He says "it's a newer song that's going to get like the full production and probably a completely different tempo and totally realized, re-realized, but uh this is the, this is the uh, meat and potatoes of it."

I'm so glad he didn't do that at all. For the album release, he bravely played it straight and kept it stripped down. It's even slower than on the radio show.
It's heartbreaking.
It's the first time on the album I find myself thinking about Jason Lytle's marriage problems in a real way.
It's crushing, but it saves the album at the end.
talkos

Postby flamingjacket on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Dear Talkos,

Midtempo Grandaddy is Grandaddy.

The new album is great. Thank you Jason for your brilliant mind and craftmanship. I'm too fond of Sumday and Levitz to say Last Place is my fav, but it's damn close, needs perspective.

Now it's official: no other musician has written the amount of songs that gives me "that special feeling" than Jason has from this day on. Brian Wilson has always been (my)the mastermind, but i'm willing to hand over the crown to mr Lytle from this day on. What an impressive career, with more greatness to come, im sure.

Cheers
flamingjacket

Postby talkos on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:26 pm

To me, Grandaddy songs are like Garbage Paul Kids cards. I like some of them much better than others, but gotta collect em all.
talkos

Postby talkos on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:28 am

after re-reading this stuff, I'll make a couple edits for poor writing/bad attitude.
Overall, I still agree with it.

I had a copy of the Magnet magazine in my car with Jason Lytle's face on the cover and I was explaining to someone, after all these years, I'm still a fan - a sarcastic fan.
talkos

Previous

Return to talk not talk