[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate() [function.getdate]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
talkscape.jasonlytle.com • View topic - Classic GD drumbeat

Classic GD drumbeat

vibration stuff

Moderators: brassman2000, __redruM

Classic GD drumbeat

Postby mnaylor3 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:26 pm

There's this drum beat I hear on pretty much all the GD songs. I can't describe it words, but it comes in a some limited variety like in the dying brains song and rear view mirror and handcrank transmitter. Anybody think deeply about this beat and what it does for the songs?

I think it's just part of the sound that was grandaddy like appregnating synth tinkling.
mnaylor3

Re: Classic GD drumbeat

Postby brassman2000 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:30 pm

That's a neat point!

There is something about that... early/syncopated kick drum? that makes you think Grandaddy.

Don't know how much music-o-analysis there is to do. Maybe someone who's a better drummer than me knows more about it. I'd say it gives the songs a bit of drive without having to pile on the bpm. Always perfectly interlinked with the bass part of course.

btw, anyone else think David Bowie is going to start singing Heroes instead of Our Dying Brains?
I has a PhD.
brassman2000

Re: Classic GD drumbeat

Postby mnaylor3 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:12 am

I think one very interesting and possible answer about that beat is that it not only belongs to GD, but specifically belongs to Aaron B rather than the songwriter. It could mean we won't hear it in future songs JL creates.
mnaylor3

Return to tabs * music * details * tech