[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate() [function.getdate]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
talkscape.jasonlytle.com • View topic - “Hard Day’s Night” Mystery chord solved using math

“Hard Day’s Night” Mystery chord solved using math

vibration stuff

Moderators: brassman2000, __redruM

“Hard Day’s Night” Mystery chord solved using math

Postby james on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:03 am

Chaaaaaang!……
“It’s been a hard day’s night
And I’ve been working like a dog”

This first chord that starts A Hard Day’s Night is one of the most recognizable and famous opening chords in rock & roll. It’s played by George Harrison on his 12 string Rickenbacker.

The other reason that it’s famous is because for 40 years nobody knew for sure what it was. Many guitar players have tried in vain to recreate the sound but have usually failed miserably.

Well, someone has figured it out definitively - not a musician, but a Dalhousie mathematician.

Four years ago, Jason Brown was inspired by reading news coverage about the song’s 40th anniversary - so much so that he decided to try and see if he could apply a mathematical calculation known as Fourier transform to solve the Beatles’ riddle. The process allowed him to break the sound into distinct frequencies using computer software to find out exactly which notes were on the record.

full story here: http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2008/11/beatles-hard-days-night-mystery-chord-solved/

i didn't know people had been trying to figure this out for 40 years...
- boinging like a kangaroo -
james
Site Admin

Re: “Hard Day’s Night” Mystery chord solved using math

Postby brassman2000 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:47 pm

hah! I like it :)

Seems a little odd that John would just play a high C though if it was all about the chord... hmmmm

I love the way maths and music are intertwined, I considered doing my degree in both subjects (something you can do apparently). In the end I did neither - you win some you lose some eh?

I see an opportunity to solve my persistent problems RE: Taster here. Are there any mathematicians in the house who understands this stuff? What the hell are those chords?
I has a PhD.
brassman2000

Postby __redruM on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:44 pm

Math can be applied, but music has a base-7 seven numbering system that goes something like:
1 1.5 2 3 3.5 4 4.5 5 6 6.5 7
or of course:
A Bb B C C# D Eb E F F# G

And the basic formulas are all written in roman numerals:
I-IV-V

Hexidecimal is easy by comparison... :geek:

EDIT: On taster, here's what I pulled off the net...
Code: Select all
Song: Taster
Band: Grandaddy
Album: Broken down comforter collection
Transcribed and tabbed by: Scoobarelli
E-mail:doolittle567@hotmail.com

INTRO
-----------------------|------------ --|
-----------------------|-------5---7-8-|
--------8-------8------|--5--7---------|
-------6----6----------|---------------|
-----7--------7--------|---------------|
-6---------------------|---------------|

VERSE
--------------0---|
-----5---5-5--0---|
-8---6---6-6--1---|
-6---7---7-5--2---|
-7---7---5-5--2---|
-6---5---7-7--0---|

CHORUS
C#min Bmaj Emaj
C#min Bmaj Amaj F#7sus5 (F#maj with open E and B strings

__redruM

Postby brassman2000 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:22 pm

__redruM wrote:Math can be applied, but music has a base-7 seven numbering system that goes something like:

If you say so :S hahaha

__redruM wrote:EDIT: On taster, here's what I pulled off the net...
Code: Select all
Song: Taster
Band: Grandaddy
Album: Broken down comforter collection
Transcribed and tabbed by: Scoobarelli
E-mail:doolittle567@hotmail.com

INTRO
-----------------------|------------ --|
-----------------------|-------5---7-8-|
--------8-------8------|--5--7---------|
-------6----6----------|---------------|
-----7--------7--------|---------------|
-6---------------------|---------------|

VERSE
--------------0---|
-----5---5-5--0---|
-8---6---6-6--1---|
-6---7---7-5--2---|
-7---7---5-5--2---|
-6---5---7-7--0---|

CHORUS
C#min Bmaj Emaj
C#min Bmaj Amaj F#7sus5 (F#maj with open E and B strings

'

that's the thing, I don't think anything on the net for this is right. That tab is essentially correct and you can play the song from it but there are two mystery chords in the verse - the 3rd and 4th ones in that tab. I can't get them and I'm not convinced by that offering either. I could be wrong but it doesn't sound right to me. This has been bugging me for years. (so much so that this is the second thread I've whinged about it in - apologies).

brassman2000 wrote:Hey guys,

I've been having some major issues with taster. I've been playing it for a while to how it goes in my head but then listened to it again recently and realised I'd been miles off.

I've been playing:

(verse)

weird E/Bb thing (67x8xx), A (577655), E (022100)

but of course its E/Bb, A, ?, ?, E. I've looked around but what I've seen in tabs doesn't really work for me. Any hints on what the ? chords are? Also are there any live vids of this that might shed some light on the problem?

Thanks Talkscapers ;)
(from "The all purpose "can you help me with a tab?" thread" which ColH tried to help me with but I never got anywhere with it)
I has a PhD.
brassman2000

Postby james on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:16 am

__redruM wrote:Math can be applied, but music has a base-7 seven numbering system that goes something like:

no wonder why i struggle. i'm a base 10 person myself.

maybe jason could solve your "taster" mystery. that'd be nice.

./me
- boinging like a kangaroo -
james
Site Admin

Postby brassman2000 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:46 pm

james wrote:

no wonder why i struggle. i'm a base 10 person myself.

maybe jason could solve your "taster" mystery. that'd be nice.

./me

I'd be mega grateful if he could! Really the kind of thing I should have posed in the ask Jason thread :oops:
I has a PhD.
brassman2000

Return to tabs * music * details * tech