I miss the first time I heard Grandaddy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderators: daidj, Johnny, ebo, wolfattack, Scott, Eean

I miss the first time I heard Grandaddy.

Postby spidermonkey11 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:06 am

I was riding in a car with a really cool girl and an awesome friend of mine. He threw in I believe it was a Sophmore Slump and instantly I asked him who are these guys? I continued to listen to them all the way home from downtown Portland and fell in love. I bought three of their albums the next day and sat in my room all day listining to Jason Lytle/Grandaddy and his amazing lyrics.

I treasure these memories for their music and the good people I was with. One of my best memories.

*1st post sorry if cheesy*

Can't wait for some new stuff Jason!!
spidermonkey11

Re: I miss the first time I heard Grandaddy.

Postby ForenameSurname on Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:45 pm

I honestly can't say it was an epiphany moment. I remember buying 'Under the Western Freeway' on a whim (plus there was a promo sticker on the cover which intrigued me). What I do remember is thinking that this was exactly how music should sound like: organic and on the verge of breaking down completely. I get the same feeling with Sparklehorse - another band that I could happily listen to at any time of the day, any season of the year.

I certainly miss that feeling of discovering a truly great artist or band (Grandaddy, Elliott Smith, Sparklehorse) and discovering lost gems and unreleased masterpieces.

And yes, I cannot wait for the Jason Lytle album either! And a new Elliott Smith rarities compilation wouldn't go amiss either (his later stuff is mindblowing)!
ForenameSurname

Postby campershell dreams on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:07 am

i read the review for just like the fambly cat in spin, and download four songs: nature anthem, now it's on, summer here kids, and a.m. 180. a.m. 180 stood out immediately, but i kinda forgot about them.

fast forward a year later, i'm in iraq, and i'm tired of listening to radiohead all the time. started listening to these four tracks, and now it's on immediately stood out, so much that i ordered their four lps off of amazon. probably the best thing i did while i was over there. my roommate that i had at the time even considers them his favorite band.
if you plan on asking me for a copy of jason lytle's soon-to-be released ablum, don't waste your time. not gonna happen! have a nice day.
campershell dreams

Postby spidermonkey11 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:59 am

Damn great choices Forename! Some of my favorites by far. Really another Elliot Smith rarieties? Would be awesome but I will not hold my breath. Yah I am just getting into sparklehorse also I need to buy some of their albums.
spidermonkey11

lol

Postby jaker on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:51 am

hope a better article
jaker

Return to talk not talk