Dodge Commercial

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderators: daidj, Johnny, ebo, wolfattack, Scott, Eean

Re: Dodge Commercial

Postby Jed on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:53 am

The irony is that he eventually got the Coke commercial... and still didn't make any more Grandaddy records...
Jed

Postby Sikotik on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:17 am

But still making music, thankfully.
But don't worry, you live till you die.
Sikotik

Postby ostgur on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:56 am

Advertisment are in Grandaddy style as imagine i, awesome :lol:
ostgur

Postby floop on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:08 pm

like others have said, it doesn't sound like a re-mix to me. i think they cut a piece using the existing song, and it sounds like they actually added a touch of guitar enhancement in the middle area. that's just what it sounds like to me

personally i'm not against this kind of thing. if anything, i just think it's cool that some music supervisor or commercial editor, somewhere, is a Grandaddy fan.

as for whether Jason has a choice, definitely .

i remember in that Magnet article he said they got 75 grand for that Honda spot. i doubt he/they go that much for this, but i'm sure it wasn't too shabby. my feeling is: if it helps him make some more albums, all the better. the guy's gotta pay his electric bills for The Warbeler.

i think it's great if Jason is getting paid for his music
floop

Postby ebo on Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:46 am

I'm waiting on pins and needles for the Neil Young "Heart of Gold" Plavix commercial; or a My Bloody Valentine "Only Shallow" Kotex spot (pardon the pun); whichever comes first.

Thank God for Rock and Roll commercials. They give credence to a dying art form.

Besides the A.M. 180 Dodge Voyager spot, my favourite as of late has been the 'Sunshine of Your Love" Touch of Grey men's hair care commercial. "For a generation that swore they'd alway's be punk rawwwwker's".
Ooooooops. Wrong generation. That's the generation that hoped they'd die before they got old.
The Grandaddy of heavy metal.
ebo

Postby Scott on Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:10 am

I think the money split will entirely depend on who owns THAT recording... if Jason owns all the rights, he may well have given them a small re-recorded loop so he owns the rights to that version AND the songwriting... could have avoided the label altogether.

Curious... and probably none of our business LOL!
Scott

Postby grandaddy on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:59 pm

The commercial is making a fan out of a friend of mine. He can't get that tune out of his head. I told him the song was over 10 years old, which was a surprise to him. So, hey, if it makes a few new fans out of it, I think it's all a good thing!
grandaddy

Postby MikeA on Fri May 02, 2008 2:51 pm

grandaddy wrote:The commercial is making a fan out of a friend of mine. He can't get that tune out of his head. I told him the song was over 10 years old, which was a surprise to him. So, hey, if it makes a few new fans out of it, I think it's all a good thing!

That is my opinion as well. If you do a Google search on the subject you'll find a lot of different message boards of people asking what the song is, that they like it and want to know who it is. So any exposure to the music is good in my opinion, especially considering radio did the band such a disservice.
MikeA

Postby wolfattack on Fri May 02, 2008 4:58 pm

Wait, so who plays that song in the commercial, i really like it. It sounds like some sweet indie-rock music! Maybe Green Day? I could be wrong though. It does something like "da, da, da da da da, da da da da, da, da da, da"

haha anyway, yeah, too bad this commercial wasn't 10 years ago after UTWF came out. Though these new fans will have some music from Jason to listen to by the end of the year. It is gonna be really good!!!!
wolfattack

Previous

Return to talk not talk