Hymn & Her!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderators: daidj, Johnny, ebo, wolfattack, Scott, Eean

Hymn & Her!!

Postby MikeA on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:21 am

I know this could likely go in the "current addictions" category but figured if there is a seperate thread for Girls in Hawaii there certainly should be one for Earlimart given the paths various members of each band have crossed over the years.

My favorite local indie store in metro Detroit sells new releases a day early on Monday nights so little brother and I went to pick up our copies. I was a good boy and did not download it early. I still like bringing a CD home on release day, laying down with the headphones on and experiencing it for the first time. Downloading has gotten me away from that but have made a point this year to avoid it for new releases from my favorite bands.

All I can say is WOW. I liked "Mentor Tormentor" but this blows it out of the water. My second favorite Earlimart CD after Treble & Tremble". Aaron and Ariana have come up with a gem this time and here's to more of Ariana's songs appearing on their CD's. "Happy Alone" was one of "Mentor's" highlights and she does it again with "Before It Gets Better". So many great tracks on here, too many to list but "Face Down In The Right Town" deserves a special mention for sure.

Curious what the other Earlimart fans on here think of the new one. Travis, your thoughts? Wolfie? I urge anyone who loves good music that has never checked out Earlimart before to pick this CD up. How Earlimart continues to fly "under the radar" especially considering we have radio stations popping up that play a lot more indie music than I'm used to hearing (at least in Detroit) is the same kind of crime that felled Grandaddy.
MikeA

Re: Hymn & Her!!

Postby wolfattack on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:24 pm

I think its a fairly solid album. I think Ariana's songs are the best ones on the album. "Time For Yourself" is the best song on the album in my opinion. "Teeth", "Time For Yourself", and "Hymm and Her" and the more interesting songs on the album (all happen to be in a row too).

I am sort of on the fence about this album though actually. Half of it i really really enjoy, and the other half not so much. Don't get me wrong, I am a really big Earlimart fan, I love their music, and I probably talk to Aaron once every two weeks or so, but there are some songs on the album that just aren't different enough from the older songs. "Song For" reminds me of the second half of "The Hidden Track". And i really hate comparing one band to another, but "Town Where You Belong" reminds me too much of "Via Chicago" by Wilco. Granted, you may not hear these similarities, but its just that when i hear something that feels very similar to me, it just never can feel as refreshing and new, even if it is a great song.

All in all, i do think it is a good album. At least they are trying new things. "Cigarettes and Kerosene" doesn't work quite yet for me, but there are definitely some neat sounds going on, and I like how the drums sound. "For The Birds" is about the sunniest songs i can think of that they've made, and i really enjoy it.

Haha, whatever, i ramble so much, and contradict myself a lot. Hopefully you can pull what i am trying to say in all of that. Final Verdict... 7/10 ... enjoyable album, but nothing compared to the first time i heard "Everyone Down Here" (which is my favorite Earlimart album) or " Treble & Tremble (a close second).

-woof
wolfattack

Postby daidj on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:21 am

Hi, still haven't heard the album, but I have a question.

I remember some fans going to their gigs after the Treble album, & loving the "trooper" song. I guessed it would be in this one, as I didn't find it on Tormentor.

I seem to be wrong. Nope ?
daidj

Postby travis on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:14 am

the "trooper" song is called state trooper boogie. i have it on a cd that davey latter (their old drummer now of great northern) gave me at a show in austin in trade for a homemade t-shirt i made that read "listen to elliott smith". to my knowledge it hasnt turned up on an album.

as far as hymn and her.. i like it alot. ariana's songs are fantastic! i think she should release a full length solo album. and aarons songs are fantastic as well. can't pinpoint my favorites just yet but "for the birds" and "face down" are my currently in the lead.

but back to the album as a whole.. it's really good. better than mentor. i just sometimes get annoyed with aarons repeated religious references. almost every song mentions god and jesus. or heaven. even songs that don't.. like "for the birds", the first line is "i watch over you from above". it implies that its from gods point of view and later makes a reference to heaven as well. i dunno. mentor tormentor was the same. the line in just because "find your faith in jesus christ"and "cold cold heaven". the song writing is fucking great but it's like o.k. i get it already with the god stuff.

there is the song "god loves you the best" which is obviously a religious reference, and in "great heron gates" there is a line "jesus are you really there?". the song "town where you belong" ends with "heaven knows the reason, heven knows for sure". even the album title, "hymn and her" is a religious reference.

not that religion is a bad thing or nuthin i just get tired of a repeated theme that lasts for two albums, or three if you count heaven adores you from treble and tremble.

i even read an article in a local zine that refered to earlimart as "christian rock". and online i read a blog about them that stated that people are calling aaron a born again christian and that he is obsessed with god.

once again, not that this is a bad thing, i just don't like hearing about it repeatedly in a bands songwriting. earlimart has always been one of my very favorite bands and always will be.

i'm just in a cranky mood today so i'm probably sounding alot harsher than i mean to. it's a great fucking record and it's been on repeat on my ipod since the day i got it. i love it. as i do all their records. treble will always be my favorite i think but damn... this is a good one too.

aaron, if you should ever read this please don't take it the wrong way. i love you guys and always will and you can count on my continued everlasting support and patronage.

thanks for another phenomenal record.
-----------turn it upside down and ride it like a bike--------------------
travis

Postby ebo on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:48 pm

I honestly feel that Aaron hasn't fully found his voice yet...and I don't mean that as a criticism.
Just my opinion.
He's still very hit and miss.
50% of his stuff I absolutely love, but I'm bored to death with the "channeling Elliott" stuff.

The Ariana tracks are amazing.
The Grandaddy of heavy metal.
ebo

Postby travis on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:03 pm

i just read my last post and i sound like an asshole.

scratch it.

earlimart could sing about a puckering butthole and i would still love the shit out of it.

they are fantastic and cant wait for the waterloo in store show in austin and the concert at the mohawk all in the same day!

yee haw!

you goin wolfie?
-----------turn it upside down and ride it like a bike--------------------
travis

Postby james on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:03 am

stoked on hymn and her. thanks a and a!!!
- boinging like a kangaroo -
james
Site Admin

Postby cut_here on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:48 am

Here's flacs of their KEXP session if anyone wants them.
http://www.nwtapers.com/bands/earlimart ... 2-kexp.zip

Jason made a surprise appearance at the Seattle show (back up "shmarmonies"), I should have audio of the show ready in a few days.
cut_here

Postby cut_here on Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:01 am

cut_here

Postby nathan on Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:39 am

Hey "cut_here",

Thanks so much for the KEXP of Earlimart!! I'm listening to it right now, and the audio quality is quite nice. I was curious if you did have the Seattle show that I could get from you? Thanks again for the material!

Earlimart's my favorite now, ever since the demise of Grandaddy... which is ironic since the first time I heard Earlimart was in concert supporting Grandaddy in Milwaukee 2003. I was in Chicago to see Earlimart a few weeks ago.. the new material is AMAZING! Funny.. I actually like "Cigarettes and Kerosene," and "Great Heron Gates"... the latter is a perfect "hold up your lighter in concert" song!
nathan

Next

Return to talk not talk