The Windfall Varietal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderators: daidj, Johnny, ebo, wolfattack, Scott, Eean

The Windfall Varietal.

Postby Lava Kisser on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:15 pm

I have been listening to it all day long.
How pure it is.
Levitz (With Birds) is my favorite version of Levitz. It is so sensitive.
I am really obsessed with 1992-2000 Grandaddy which i consider the best years of the band.
Wow, Broken, Gold, Mutineer, I'M Not In Love or Fun, Fun, Fun...
Every song is blessed with this authenticity and awkwardness whom our Grandaddies are gifted.
I remember having paid a lot of money to have my Windfall Varietal. One of the best buyings in my entire life.
Lava Kisser

Re: The Windfall Varietal.

Postby kharkus on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:34 pm

agreed. my favorite years as well. Concrete Dunes has most my favorite songs. They did have a wonkiness to their sound that makes them loveable. A good amount of grit blended into a large amount of personal sentiment. Later Grandaddy started turning hollow i think in terms of sound. Became a sort of get in, get out. Only in old grandaddy could you find adventerous soundscapes. To sum up early Grandaddy to me I would use Lava Kiss. It is full of righteous ingenuity.
Smilin' at me, that's how it used to be.
kharkus

Postby Lava Kisser on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:19 pm

Yes, Lava Kiss is my Grandaddy's all time favorite song.
Concretes Dunes is completely brilliant.
A gem. Pure Gold.
Last edited by Lava Kisser on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lava Kiss.
Lava Kisser

Postby talkos on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:33 am

I agree.
90s Grandaddy is one of my top favorite bands.
After that, they devolved into sort of a Van Hagar post Matt Sharp Weezer wet noodle. I still faithfully buy all their albums though.
Here’s to hoping their lost 90’s album, Don’t Sock the Tryer, eventually sees an official release (and not just a UK only limited release.)
talkos

Postby weezit on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:26 pm

talkos wrote:After that, they devolved into sort of a Van Hagar post Matt Sharp Weezer wet noodle.

Oof, that is pretty harsh man.

I agree that their music became less raw, and more polished as they moved into Sumday and Just Like the Fambly Cat, but even those albums are pure works of art imo. Even The Last Place is a solid album in it's own right.

Nothing beats 90s Grandaddy in my eyes. Too many great classics.

That said, Sumday and Fambly Cat have some straight bangers on em.

Where I'm Anymore still stands as one of the best Grandaddy songs to be released on one of their studio albums for me. Plus, their EP Todd Zilla is spectacular with Cinderland and At My Post.

Weezer devolved into party songs and lowest common denominator music. Grandaddy never came close to that. The music is still personal and full of great imagery, storytelling and emotion.

I am a pretty big Weezer fan (actually my name on this forum is even a bastardization of Weezer) and I'll say without hesitation that they are a joke now, and have been a joke for the greater part of the past two decades. Grandaddy never went to those lows, not even close.
weezit

Return to talk not talk