NYC Show!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderators: daidj, Johnny, ebo, wolfattack, Scott, Eean

NYC Show!!!

Postby spankythemuscleman on Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:47 pm

Hey, ya'll. It's been a looooong time since I've logged into the old talkscape, but now I have all of the reasons...

First, is anyone else going to the NYC show at the end of February? I have this irrational fear that for whatever reasons (I'm sure they're quite valid and rational) Grandaddy won't tour this new album in the States too much. SO, I'm not taking any chances and will be driving up from Baltimore to catch this show. I'm hoping it's a waters testing scenario, much like Jeff Lynne did recently, to see if U.S. shows would sell in 2 of the bigger markets in the country. So, hopefully for all of the fans that can't make these show, they sell out and have great crowds. For anyone within a few hours from NYC (i think the california show sold out already), take the time off from work, get a bus ticket and a hotel room, and get the fuck up (or down) to NYC and catch this show. I'm just going to treat every Grandaddy show like it'll be the last i'll ever see, because it probably will be. I know exactly how apathetic us Americans are, so I implore you to get off of your ass and show some love.

So, I'm wondering what will be played.. I'm assuming all the hits and a bunch of new stuff. Hopefully a few EP songs and b-sides are thrown in there, but it doesn't matter. I remember the first and only time i actually got to see G-diddy during the Sumday tour back in like 2003 (and then they released one more album, didn't tour it, and broke up). I had no idea who they were and was just lucky that I showed up early enough to the Pete Yorn show to catch the opener. Didn't know any songs, but was taken aback enough to pick up the album at the merch table (if only i'd known, i would have gotten a god damned robo-deer tee-shirt) and have grown to love them enough to post on Jason's boards about stuff like this. In other words, they could play a full set of stuff i've never heard and I'd probably still enjoy the hell out of it, just not be able to sing along.

I digress, like I said, it's been a while since I've posted.

So, how about that new album, eh?! Anyone else get some pre-order goodies? I was unfortunately too broke to pick up a test pressing in time..
in the meadow we can build a snowman and pretend that he is Alan Parsons...
spankythemuscleman

Re: NYC Show!!!

Postby talkos on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:42 pm

talkos

Postby Scott on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:02 pm

I'm flying down from Toronto for the show - I have the same fear (re: North American touring).

I suspect the setlist won't be worlds different than the ones played earlier this year, with a couple tracks from the new album thrown in... that's my guess... but I could be wrong. Especially if testing the waters, they will do better to play the songs people want to hear instead of going TOO deep into the archives... though a couple Fambly Cat tracks would certainly be welcome by everyone, I suspect.

And I'm in the same boat - only seen them once (on the reunion tour) - so I don't actually care WHAT they play.

As for the new album - love the new songs, and spent way too much on 'goodies' in the pre-order. Trying not to think about that LOL... but I was lucky enough to get a test pressing.
Scott

Postby Vordhosbn on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:45 am

I'm coming up from Florida to the NYC (le) poisson rouge show. Been a fan for 14 years, never seen them and figured this might be my last chance! If anyone wants to hang out or whatever at the show, hmu since I'll be completely alone in NY lol. I bought 2 tickets and my date bailed.
Vordhosbn

Return to talk not talk