The Prized Possession

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderators: daidj, Johnny, ebo, wolfattack, Scott, Eean

The Prized Possession

Postby weezit on Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:51 pm

Unfortunately I've forgotten my old login information. Can't seem to remember my name or password.

I've gone ahead and made a new account...not that any of you should care.

To the point:

What Grandaddy CD/Vinyl or, if you are lucky enough, Cassette is the centerpiece of your collection?

I just got lucky enough to have the opportunity to buy the "Complex Party Come Along Theories" CD which has been in my sights for years. I've always missed out on it by a hair, so I'm glad to have finally captured this rare beast. Prior to this I would say that "Machines Are Not She", the "Taster/Nebraska" 7" and the "Could This Be Love/Kim You Bore Me to Death" 7" were definitely the top items. I also have a CD from a show in Texas labeled "Penguin to Snow Ratio" which I've never seen anywhere else which I was lucky enough to find on a deep day of scouring the internet in search of unknown treasures.

Yes, I made this post in order to talk about the above. But I also have a genuine curiosity about the other collectors out there. I feel the need to be a part of a community with this stuff. I want to be able to talk about it with people who share the same interests and passions.

Tell us your stories of how you came across the gems in your collection. I know I'd love to hear them.
weezit

Re: The Prized Possession

Postby Johnny on Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:48 am

Not got any prizes although Aaron did send me a robodeer shirt and a fridge magnet once.

However I am after a windfall CD if anyone knows of one for sale?
Johnny
Site Admin

Postby Scott on Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:56 pm

I have the 'typical' prized possessions, I think... I'm after those last few weird things that don't ever seem to circulate:

Strings For Relief CD-R
Live At The Art Factory Cassette
Prepare To Bawl Cassette
Recorded Live Amongst Friends And Fidget Cassette
Don't Sock The Tryer Cassette
Sumday BMG Promo

And Jason's weird promo with Nature Anthem / The Bird Song

Most of these have shown up for sale once, maybe twice... alas.

I still treasure the signed poster from the LA reunion show (and the setlist some bouncer was kind enough to walk backstage and grab for me)... one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I think you'll find, Weezit, there are not a ton of rabid 'collector' types around here anymore - I did the crazy 'every version of every thing' for a while there, and came up with a decent collection all said and done - but never got the rarest-of-the-rare stuff... couldn't afford the $100+ the few times they went up (but would happily pay that now if anyone with oddities wants to sell HAHA!)
Scott

Postby weezit on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:37 pm

It's a shame that not many people are around anymore.

My "on the hunt" list is pretty similar to yours, though I've never even heard of the "Strings for Relief" CDr.

The LA reunion show was one of the shining moments of my life as far as live music is concerned. I'll never forget the date as it was my 21st birthday, and I happened to be in LA visiting my brother before ultimately moving here 2 years later. I'll never forget learning about the reunion tour and seeing that the stars had some how aligned in such a perfect way. Would you be willing to post the setlist by any chance? I'd love to see it as the concert went by so fast that I can't remember what their encore was aside from AM180 if I even remember that correctly. I've tried to find it before and I've never seen it posted anywhere, haha!

As for the Windfall Varietal: There are a few posted on discogs right now.
https://www.discogs.com/Grandaddy-The-Windfall-Varietal/release/1607179

It's a bit pricey, but I spent about $60 on mine, and the price doesn't seem to be going down. They tend to sell for cheaper on eBay, but they rarely pop up. The guy I bought my Complex Party Come Along Theories was selling a copy of WFV and it sold for just over 30 usd.

Good luck!
weezit

Postby eric on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:37 am

Time to open up my Grandaddy box that's been stashed away since I moved. Let's see... #1 is probably my signed "Machines are Not She" vinyl. #2 would be the Could this Be Love 7". It's not very rare but the Laughing Stock 7" has always been a favorite ebay find. One of my favorite tracks and the wood grain cover looks cool.

Beyond vinyl, I've also got setlists from the 2003 era shows in Seattle that Abe grabbed for me and a frisbee with the old Flying V guitars / skull logo.

Oh and here's the setlist from the LA reunion show.
eric

Postby Scott on Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:00 pm

Pherron's discography is still the de-facto for the earlier stuff:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.herr ... sForRelief

Strings For Relief was a charity disc with a couple solo-Jason tracks. I tried contacting the organizers after it was over and had no luck... contacted a number of the bands... one of them sent me his burned copy, but it wasn't the official release, just burned for him or something - so I have a weird, unique, but not-exactly-right version of the disc LOL.

Probably the hardest to get, for me, was the correct CD2 of Hewlett's Daughter... so bloody hard to find, and hard to explain to people when trying to buy it online (without explaining how rare it was - which would, inevitably, have lead to a jump in price LOL).

I should also re-start my shirt-documenting project... have a decent number of those kicking around that would be nice to document...

(And I love the frisbee - actually on my wall behind me)
Scott

Postby weezit on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:30 pm

I saw that Frisbee on eBay not to long ago and pained over whether I wanted it or not. Before I made a decision it was gone. It wasn't too expensive or anything, just $30ish with shipping. Don't know why I never bought it.

What # of Could This Be Love do you have? I am curious how many are out there still. The thing is absolutely gorgeous.
It's such a homemade one of a kind item, its like a collector's wet dream. Sort of weird, but when I first came across mine I got goosebumps when I saw fingerprints on the inner sleeve where there was ink transfer. Its stuff like that that makes collecting fun for me.

The correct version of Hewlett's Daughter CD#2 was a lucky find for me. I blindly bought one without doing any research and later discovered it was the proper version.

When I first discovered pherron's discography I was working on a shitty Pilot and had access to a high volume printer/copier. I printed the whole thing out and it was close to 60 pages if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Forgot to thank you for linking the setlist. Memories came back pretty hard remembering the songs. Thanks a bunch.

How crazy would an auction of Complex Party Come Along Theories or Prepare to Bawl, or any of the cassettes for that matter get do you guys think? I don't have much self control as I spent nearly double on my CDr of Complex than I initially intended to. I can't even fathom how much I'd end up dropping on a 'once in a lifetime opportunity' like that.
weezit

Postby Scott on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:35 pm

Cassettes would be over $100 for sure. There was a 4-track demo tape that I got over $100 on and was outbid at the end... I think it went for $125 or something. And that was 4 songs... so, I can only imagine how much some of the other 'official' releases (that people know they're missing) would go for.

Only 1 or 2 have circulated while I've been collecting, and I didn't have the 'war chest' of cash at the time to go deep, sadly... so i've contented myself with the multi-copy-obsessive stuff (promos and the like).
Scott

Postby forgetful on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:11 pm

I'm curious to know how much better the Complex Party CD sounds over the WAV files that were made available here a couple of years ago, I did bid but fell out quite early on and was amazed by the price that it finally made.
I don't collect so much anymore and do appreciate having something tangible rather than a download or copy.
I am happy to say I have most of the discography that was easily available and do fill in some of the gaps as I can. It is nice to see that the rarer stuff does seem to mean something to whoever has them as they really don't come around that often.
forgetful

Postby weezit on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:10 pm

Yeah, I was pretty shocked at how high the bidding got to. I actually got bid up to my highest offer and was lucky enough to have it stand at that price. The price stood firmly at $35 for days. The last 5 minutes dictated where it ended up ultimately.

When I first got started collecting my goal was to have the 4 original Vinyl pressings of their studio albums. And like most stories of collecting, it just wasn't enough for me. So I went to their CDs, and then their EPs, Singles, etc. Before I knew what happened I had amassed a huge collection.
weezit

Next

Return to talk not talk