Some news you've all been waiting for - new GD Album!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderators: daidj, Johnny, ebo, wolfattack, Scott, Eean

Some news you've all been waiting for - new GD Album!!

Postby Johnny on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:46 pm

Stereogum just reported that Grandaddy are making a new record and Jason tweeted the following:

"While tracking new GD LP....need to remind myself no song on sophtware slump had more than 20 tracks....
16 on the average!"

So there ya go!

http://www.stereogum.com/1828173/grandaddy-are-recording-a-new-album/news/?utm_source=sc-fb&utm_medium=ref&utm_campaign
Bb or B Good!
Johnny
Site Admin

Re: Some news you've all been waiting for - new GD Album!!

Postby Scott on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:21 am

Between that and the new soundtrack yesterday, 2015 just got a TON more musically awesome...
Scott

Postby spankythemuscleman on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:50 am

This is some amazingly exciting news. It seems between this soundtrack/score, producing the upcoming, band of horses album, and this new G Diddy LP, Jason has been the hardest working man in rock and roll this year.

This does pose an interesting question in my mind though: what will be the difference in the approach between the solo efforts and a new granddaddy album? I do recall Jason making comments to the affect that a certain song might be more suited to a grandaddy album. Which raises another question: did Jason feel like he had pigeonholed himself with the grandaddy sound? Granted, grandaddy evolved throughout the catalog, and I would honestly say that his first solo record was a very pleasant segue out of that grandaddy sound. So will this new LP be more back to fuzzy distortion and arpegiators, or will it be a continuation of the more earthy acoustic sounds he broke into on his solo efforts? Furthermore can we expect something more thematic lyrically or will it be more of a single composition to composition piece? So many questions and so much excitement on my end.

If I can say one more thing, I'd say music needs another grandaddy album right now. I don't feel like there's much out there like it and it could break out, given the right promotion, label backing, etc., but I digress. That might not be what Jason's all about, but he deserves it.
in the meadow we can build a snowman and pretend that he is Alan Parsons...
spankythemuscleman

Postby Noodle Mage on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:05 am

Damn, as a relatively young Grandaddy fan who has been bummed recently because I've been searching everywhere for some piece of merch from them, this made my whole year. Im a fan of all eras so i'm sure it'll be amazing.

I really hope they go on tour even remotely close to me because i'll drive upwards of 12 hours just to see a live show.
Noodle Mage

Postby Stainy on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:03 pm

I hope that the others in the group get more of a say so in this album..
Stainy

Postby talkos on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:01 pm

The stereogum article's photo gives the unfortunately false impression that Tim Dryden, Jim Fairchild, and Kevin Garcia are back writing and recording for this new album. I can tell by the comments below it that it is still not widely understood that those guys never did that before.
So what's really the difference between a Jason Lytle solo album and a grandaddy album if the title track to Dept of disappearance has all the mentioned Grandaddy signifiers?

This is the guy who wrote Levitz and Chartsengrafs.
I hope this new album has better songwriting on it than the songs from the Rose City Round radio show. If he just takes those songs and adds his usual studio arrangements, it's not going to surpass any Grandaddy material. If that were the case, he'd be much better off releasing Don't Sock the Tryer.

That being said, whatever it is, I'll buy it and listen to it.
Last edited by talkos on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
talkos

Postby Stainy on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:28 pm

huh? that photo is old... how can that show you that the others are writing and more involved than playing the songs live?
Stainy

Postby talkos on Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:52 pm

They're playing live?
Awesome!
See you there
talkos

Postby spankythemuscleman on Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:51 am

I know we all want Jason to move forward, but damn I'd like to see a Don't Sock The Tryer see a rerelease, remaster, and some vinyl pressings. But, yeah, I'll revel in whatever he releases (assuming it's still awesome).

Tour? Doesn't seem logical to release a Grandaddy album without one, but I'll believe it when I see it. And I hate to be that guy, but festival show do not count as a tour.
in the meadow we can build a snowman and pretend that he is Alan Parsons...
spankythemuscleman

Return to talk not talk