Older grandaddy influences

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderators: daidj, Johnny, ebo, wolfattack, Scott, Eean

Older grandaddy influences

Postby kharkus on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:43 am

I really like the older grandaddy. Not as old as prepare to bawl but between there and under the western freeway. I really like their demos and what ive got in mind specifically is the fast version of "the rattlesnake song". Its got a cool 80s synth infused garage punk sound to it. Its real unique and i know id have a hard time finding other songs like this by other bands so i wanna know if anyone knows their older influences? Must be some type of punk rok an synth bands. Shouldnt be like that is a good one too. So if you guys know then tell me because i make music and i need more diverse inspiration.
Smilin' at me, that's how it used to be.
kharkus

Re: Older grandaddy influences

Postby kharkus on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:46 am

Now that i think about it. How would you guys describe their sound? Its got punk inluences but its not as angry or violent sounding and its got synth pop influence but its not corny. Im at a loss.
kharkus

Postby talkos on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:03 am

I hear you man.
Older grandaddy is what did it for me.
they were obviously influenced by the pixies, pavement, and the cars, but somehow they had their own unique sound.
talkos

Postby talkos on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:28 pm

I read you loud and clear Scott.
What you're saying is you're like one of those fans who prefers Van Halen with Sammy Hagar on vocals.
Or maybe a better comparison is liking attending Grateful Dead shows after Jerey died better than when he was still alive.
I got ya.
To each his own.
But that's not what this thread was about anyway.
talkos

Postby Scott on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:31 am

Just trying to contribute to a very slow board.

Didn't mean to levy insults.

Post deleted.
Scott

Postby talkos on Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:11 am

It's been a long, crappy fandom all these years.
From the earliest beginnings seeing grandaddy play in the Central Valley before Complex Party Come Along Theories came out as a local band.
Then faithfully following this band for all eternity while growing increasingly disappointed with each album as they came out

Of course most Grandaddy fans prefer Sumday era stuff.
My good friend Eean does and I respect his opinion.
Apparently Jason Lytle does too judging from the output he's released since.

However, my irrational fandom of Grandaddy's earlier incarnation still keeps me coming back after all these years.
Since there is actually a thread created by someone other than me showing appreciation for their early music, why is it necessary to reply with a reminder that you like the later stuff better? All the other threads are about that.
So I'm going to reply with ridiculous obnoxious post comparing your fandom to preferring Jefferson Starship over Jefferson Airplane and for the coup de grâce, I'll suggest that you're the kind of Beach Boys fan that thinks Kokomo is their best song.
That's a lot of California bands, but it also serves to remind where Grandaddy came from.
And I'll be honest with you, I've spent a fair share of time arguing on the internet in favor of the Chuck Mosely era of Faith No More over Mike Patton, so you may not know what kind of lunatic you're dealing with here.
Cheers.
talkos

Postby Scott on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:10 pm

You'll notice there's almost NO traffic here.

I was concurring with your Pavement reference.

I was also noting I was no expert on that era (and why).

And I was trying to start conversation - not an argument, a 'what's better' or anything. No need to be rude.
Scott

Postby am180 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:28 am

Hi Guys,

I read this old stuff v new stuff with great interest. I personally like it all. It tells a great story of a sound evolving. I liken it to the evolving sound of Pink Floyd, their early stuff being a little experimental (little??), with their pivotal point being Dark Side Of The Moon. Of course Grandaddy's was The Sophtware Slump and everything thereafter being more polished production-wise.

As with The Floyd, Grandaddy slowly became a one-man band, and the songs themselves took on a more personal theme of that main contributor. I heard somewhere that Fambly Cat was pretty much a solo effort from Jason, and again this ties in with Floyd's last album (with Waters), The Final Cut.

So here's the big thing that I've been wondering: There have been hints on Twitter that Jason is working on a new Grandaddy Album. This would be great news for us Grandaddy followers, but would it be essentially a Jason solo album re-branded as a Grandaddy one? What thinks ye all?

Steve
Quote I saw that I wish was mine: "Everything these guys do make me fall in love with being sad."
am180

Postby talkos on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:50 am

Hi Steve.
I'll try to hold off on my snarkiness and answer your questions plainly.

Not everyone realizes this, but for their entire recording career, Grandaddy was pretty much a one man band, essentially Jason Lytle's solo project. He wrote and produced pretty much all of it.
He played all the instruments. Aaron played drums. Gary Young recorded street bunny.

You can read about how the lack of collaboration caused dissention in the band here in this Jim Fairchild interview where he discusses the process of recording Under The Western Freeway and SSlump:
http://rocksucker.co.uk/2011/09/intervi ... daddy.html

My own theories about this concept:
Worked well at the beginning because Jason Lytle was young, brilliant, and unstoppable.
Later it led to the band's demise because they were stuck in a state of non-collaboration.

The difference with Fambly Cat is that the band never learned the songs to perform live.
I was disappointed that they didn't play any of those during their reunion shows. I'm a rare grandaddy fan that likes Fambly Cat a lot more than Sumday (but that's a different story).
Jason Lytle solo albums are not much different than Grandaddy albums.

To compare grandaddy to some other somewhat similar acts...

Wilco: Jeff Tweedy is the writer and visionary, but he knows how to benefit from collaboration and gets some great people to play on his records. Getting Jim Orourke involved with production was brilliant. Jason Lytle could have really benefitted from that kind of thing later in his career.

Mac Demarco: i don't think I can convince the radiohead centric fans this, but Mac Demarco has s hell of a lot in common with early jason Lytle. He writes, plays, and produces his albums all by himself. Then he teaches his songs to his lovable band mates to perform live. He's more transparent to bill the records under his own name. He's still in his hot streak now. Catch him before it's too late.
talkos

Postby kharkus on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:22 am

Haha talkos weve got a lot in common in respect to grandaddy, man! Actuslly its funny that in my first years i was head over heels with the sumday era and slowly moved into earlier and earlier albums and now oh man i have to listen to their demo songs on the regular. Im always on the hunt now for some rare live recordings/demos or whatever. Right now im trying to find the 97 black sessions (really wanting to here why glider pilot and fun fun fun). Sean, i never saw what you wrote but i dont mind if youre a fan of the "newer" stuff or older. The cool thing is we're all fans of the same band. But yeah, totally dig the older stuff. Someone said they even found a cassette where they played egg hit and jack too live. What?! As for that new grandaddy album in the works, i heard/read about that too but man sorry to say i think its gonna be a flop for fans of the more abrasive grandaddy. Like... Hang an ornament? Wtf man. Im all about collaborations but it seems like that song was chopped full of corny religious undertones in terms of the melody. Im still hopeful though that it will be a listenable album and will come out sooner than later.
Ive been listening to the cars a lot more lately and i can hear the influences they had on g. Cheap trick too with songs like call girl call. I still tell my friends about that noise pop video of them playing a whole set with tunes like "down on the open brine". Killer. Anyway im glad this thread is gaining some traction! These boards are getting awfully quiet.
kharkus

Next

Return to talk not talk